Bey Mosque is one of the most delicate
examples of Seljukian architecture, situated
below the basilica of Saint John. The
mosque was built by the master Syrian
architecture Ali son of Mushimish al -Damishki,
between the years of 1374 and 1375.
The mosque was styled asymmetrically unlike
the traditional style, The location of
the windows , doors and domes were not
matched, purposely. In the entrance of
the mosque, an inscription from the god
decorates the doorway. The columns inside
the house of prayer are from earlier ruins
in Ephesus, making an interesting contrast
to the mosque . The domes are ornamented
by turquoise and blue faience, revealing
the characteristic of Ottoman style. Crown-like
doors from Seljukian architectural style
later combine with the specific decoration
elements of architectural style. The mosque
was repaired in 1934.
The mystical atmosphere of "Isa
Bey Mosque" must be experienced
in the excursion around this region.